Documentary Heritage Program
The Documentary Heritage Program (DHP) is a New York State program designed to locate, organize, and make accessible historical records that are critical to ensuring the survival of New York’s heritage. Established by law in 1988, the DHP is administered by the New York State Archives and is funded through the Local Government Records Management Improvement Fund. The DHP offers annual DHP Grants to not-for-profit organizations in New York State that collect, hold and make available historical records.
There are nine regional service providers that furnish services locally. CDLC is the service provider for Albany, Fulton, Hamilton, Montgomery, Rensselaer, Saratoga, Schenectady, Schoharie, Warren and Washington counties of upstate New York.
For information on regional services in other counties, follow the link to visit the DHP Regional Archivists page.
Regional Archivist Susan D'Entremont coordinates DHP services in the Capital District. She can be contacted at (518) 438-2500 or
. The Regional Archivist is assisted by the DHP Advisory Committee.
CDLC's regional DHP services include:
- Directory of Repositories providing contact and holdings information and links to web sites for area repositories
- Advice to historical records repositories and others
- Free Site Visits to repositories and eligible non-profits
- Newsletter containing helpful hints, web sites, training opportunities and local archival activities
- Search the DHP Lending Library of over 100 titles related to archives, special collections and historical museums
- Information on and coordination of Documentary Heritage Program - Archives Month activities
- Documentary Heritage Program Email list open to anyone interested in archives and historical records. (Contact Susan D'Entremont at (518) 438-2500 or
to be added to the list.)
- Related links: Links to other web sites that provide useful information related to historical records.
This program is sponsored by the Capital District Library Council and supported in part by
Documentary Heritage Program (DHP) funds provided by the New York State Archives, State Education Department.