SPEAK UP FOR LIBRARIES
Wednesday, March 1st
Shared schedule of appointments and general information coming soon!
CDLC members are encouraged to join MVLS, SALS, and UHLS Member Library staff, trustees, Friends and patrons of all ages to attend Library Advocacy Day in Albany sponsored by the New York Library Association (NYLA). Help legislators understand how much people care about libraries by packing their offices at every appointment. With dozens of legislators to meet with we need lots of people to come and show their support. Your attendance can make a BIG impact.
Meet with your NYS representatives in Albany to make the case that Libraries ARE Education! and should receive funding increases and infrastructure investments that respect our role in the community. We have two big items to advocate for this year:
Increase State Library Aid Proportionally with Increases in Education Funding
New York State Education Law requires Library Aid for FY 2017-2018 to be $102.6M. Total state funding in the FY2016-17 enacted budget was $95.6M, placing library aid at 2006 funding levels. More than $111M in statutory State Library Aid has been withheld since FY2007-2008. More information
- Library usage and demand for services are surging statewide!
- Libraries are a core component of our state's educational infrastructure!
- Libraries are critical for access and equality!
- Libraries and library systems are models of shared services and collaborative planning!
Increase Investment in State Library Aid Construction Program to $25M
Without immediate, significant state investment, public libraries remain unable to accommodate advances in technological infrastructure, make investments in energy-efficiency, or increase access to differently-abled patrons. NOW is the time to increase the investment in New York's library facilities. More information
CDLC Members take note of these NYLA legislative items as well!
- Expand Access to School Libraries and Librarians
- Taxpayer Access to Publicly-Funded Research
- Provide Universal Access to Construction Aid Financing for Public Libraries